To start, I made the undergarments: a chemise and stays from Sense and Sensibility's Regency Underthings pattern. The stays ended up not fitting, so I made a second one loosely following this drafting tutorial. Then it was on to the dress!
For a pattern, I modified Simplicity 4055. Two years before, I had used the same pattern to make a dress, but wasn't too happy with how it turned out. Having had previous experience with the pattern, though, I was able to tweak most of the things I didn't like about that previous dress, and am so much happier with this one.
I took the inspiration for my dress from a few beautiful Regency dresses by The Tailorette, such as this one. I used a white-on-white floral embroidered cotton fabric from Joann's with a white muslin lining and contrasting dark red ribbon sash. White dresses were very popular in Regency times!
My hairdo was inspired by this painting from 1801.